From an early age, Theresa Clark learned to adapt. As the daughter of an Air Force pilot whose family moved across the country every few years, she learned from new environments, and seasonal change. As an English equestrian rider, there were different courses to study and new horses to train. And finally, as an Ohio State University and Harvard trained landscape architect who set up shop in southern California, she studied three geographical zones of plant materials, soil types and weather conditions.
Theresa takes this adaptive approach, combined with her extensive travel throughout the world and artistic sensibilities into each project.
As a home adapts to the lifestyle of its owners, Theresa believes that the landscape should be a seamless extension of the home and its inhabitants–that both functions and delights.
For over 30 years, Theresa and her experienced associates have completed gardens across the country with a variety of garden designs ranging from contemporary to historic old world, and in scale from intimate courtyards to 600 acre estates. The creative attention given to each project has brought TCLA Studio recognition from numerous design competitions and publications.
Commercial projects include the Hard Rock Cafe, Twin Palms restaurant, and the Newport Beach Four Seasons Hotel Ballroom Gardens.
Resort projects include the Marriott at Pelican Hill, located on 70 acres along the Newport Coast, and the renovation of the Beverly Hills Hotel and Bungalow’s Gardens in Beverly Hills, California.
Urban renewal projects include The Botanical Gardens for the Commons at Uptown in Albuquerque, New Mexico and the Riverside Marketplace in Riverside, California.
Theresa A. Clark graduated summa cum laude, with a Bachelor of Science degree in Landscape Architecture from The Ohio State University, and received a Master of Landscape Architecture degree from the Harvard Graduate School of Design. Theresa is a registered Landscape Architect in California (#3327). Previous registrations include Idaho, Texas, Indiana and Nebraska.
• Merit Award for the Hogan Residence
Presented by American Society of Landscape Architects (2001)
• Silver Award Landscape/Architecture Construction for Malas Residence – Presented by The Home Book Design Excellence Awards (2002)
• Gold Award Landscape Architecture Construction for Miller Residence– Presented by The Home Book Design Excellence Awards (2002)
• Kermit Dorius Memorial for Palermo Residence –
Presented by Custom Home Architectural Awards of Excellence (2002)
• Newport Coast Award Honorary Pelican Point
Presented by Homer Oatman – President of Architectural Review Committee (2002)
• Lily Awards – Presented by Rancho Santa Fe Association (2003, 2005)
• Award of Excellence Architectural Rehabilitation – Presented by City of San Diego Historical Resources Board (2011) • Southern California Chapter of American Concrete Institute Award for excellent use of concrete in residential construction for Frank Lloyd Wright’s Ennis House (2014) • Silver Award for LEED Homes – Presented by the U.S. Green Building Council (2017) • Gold Award for LEED Homes – Presented by the U.S. Green Building Council (2018) • Achievement Award – Presented by CLCA/San Diego Chapter for Landscape Beautification in both Residential Construction and Drought Tolerant Garden categories for the La Jolla Overlook Project (2018)
• Member of American Society of Landscape Architects • Review member on the Newport Coast Architectural Control Committee • Professional panel member for the Newport Coast Symposium • Professional panel member for the Rancho Santa Fe Association Roundtable
• Managing Editor for Process Magazine, issue 104: The Major Works of SWA, April 1992
• Weekend Houses, Author Rowlands/Darley by Chronicle Books, 2000
• Sunset Western Landscaping, Sunset Pub. 2006 • Patio & Stone: A Sunset Design Guide, Sunset Publishing 2009 • Healthy Stables By Design, Images Pub. 2013
Magazine Features • Sunset Magazine Multiple features (1999-Present) • Luxe Magazine Multiple features (2015-Present) • Tuscan Style Magazine – Multiple features (2009-Present) • San Diego Home/Garden Multiple features (1999-Present)
• LA Times Magazine Oct. 2000 “Surf Turf”
• Dream Homes Orange County – (2002-Present)
• Custom Homes Outdoors Spring '03 “City Heights”
• Coastal Living April '04 “Scents of Place’
• Homes for the Holidays December '04 “The Charm of Old San Juan”
• Dream Homes San Diego Jan. '05 “La Jolla Farms Country Manor”
• Beautiful Homes and Gardens Spring '05 “French Connection”
• Space June '05 “Inspired Gardens”
• Elegant Homes Oct. '06 “Harmonious Mix”
• Secret Garden Tour of La Jolla May 14, 2011 • New American Luxury Magazine Summer ‘12 “A Home Rebuilt”